What prompted me to write this piece was this editorial in The News which said that Taliban have ordered all girl schools to be closed by January 15 - or else they will be blown up. Today, in the most beneficent manner that Taliban act, they have said that they will allow girl education till primary level. How merciful. I am teary eyed.
But, I still hate the Taliban - not as a fashion statement for some reasons.
- I hate Taliban because they do not believe in freedom of religion. Case in point, Bamiyan Buddha in Afghanistan. Since they are Deobandis by sect, so no Barelvi is accepted too. That is why they dug up the grave of Pir Samiullah, their opponent in Swat and hung his body publicly.
- I hate the Taliban because they are considered to be 'pure' muslims, the best of the breed, the ones that resemble the muslims at the time of the Prophet (horrible to say the least), the best practitioners of 'real Islam'. Bullshit of course. Taliban represent only one sub-sect of Islam, the Deobandi Sunnis. The Barelvis for example are not good muslims in front of them. Shias, damn they are infidels!
- I hate Taliban because west portrays them as manifestation of todays muslims. An ordinary muslim in Pakistan, India, Indonesia, Egypt is totally against what Taliban do and act. Yes 'every' muslim will criticise Israel and America but not one will go imposing a certain brand of Islam on others. Every act that Taliban do - the west say 'see! this is what Islam preaches!' Idiots.
- I hate Taliban because they blow up schools (115 schools in Swat, admitted by their spokesperson)
- I hate Taliban because they 'enforce' Islam. Case in point - the forced veiling of women, beating the bare ankles of women with sticks, forced closure of shops for prayers.
- I hate Taliban because they are extremely rigid to anothers point of view. You tell Tehreek e Taliban Pakistan to withdraw from violence - they say impose shariah, ask America to leave Afghanistan otherwise we will not. Nice way of going about solving things.
- I hate Taliban because they consider violence the only measure to achieve their political goals.
- I hate Taliban because they are giving extreme elements in our society a 'reason' to counter State. They are responsible for chaos. Every criminal is now 'Taliban'. Yes I agree the criminals are giving 'bad name' to Taliban (ironically) but its them who made it a point that you can take up arms against the State.
So there you go. I am full of hatred.